Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Call To Arms For the Love of Our Brothers and Sisters in Haiti...

I am putting several ways here to make donations for the victims of the Haiti earthquake. It is easy---and is desperately needed.

Blaine and I have visited Haiti several times---and I can't even describe to you the poverty we saw there. It was heartbreakingly overwhelming--- BEFORE the earthquake! And I am completely horrified about how wretched and sickeningly miserable their conditions are NOW, after the earthquake! I spent last night bawling my eyes out after I heard the story of the collapsed hospital, and how the people on the street could hear those poor people trapped under the hospital's rubble crying out for help and wailing in pain.

The American Red Cross' website gives instructions for donations. Just click on the Red Cross Lady's picture to the upper right.

Also, the Embassy of the United States of America, in Haiti, also has a Red Cross website which shows ways of donating. (At the Embassy's website, just wait for the scarlet Red Cross window to flash in the left hand window and click on it, because there are two other, different, pics that flash one after the other.)

There is another, simpler way to donate to the Red Cross via your cellphone. It is the way I describe in my Twitters, a way that you can donate $10 simply by texting "Haiti" to 90999. The $10 donation will be automatically deducted from your cell phone bill---and although any amount is appreciated and desperately needed, if you feel you'd like to donate more than $10, simply repeat it as often as you'd like.

And believe me when I say that I totally understand just how tough economic conditions are here in America and everywhere else in the world. But even a small donation can make a huge difference--- perhaps the difference between life and death for someone in Haiti. I do believe that Jesus' words bear repeating here:

"That which you do for the least of Me, you do also for Me."

Please donate?....as I said above, it could mean life or death for someone in Haiti.

*

*

1 comment:

adult washcloths said...

I have been working on health information systems in developing countries for some time and it is interesting that a lot of your principles are the same as what I have been proposing to resource poor countries. The ideas of keeping things simple, incremental development, local use of data, minimal data set, appropriate technology and of course data standards and interoperability.