Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Victory...

I think she likes me.....

Thank you, one and all, for your support! And I'm happy to tell you that there is no longer the threat of the landlord cutting down her tree before her babies have hatched and fledged--- thanks to the chivalry of my hero, Blaine!

For some reason the landlord had refused to answer Blaine's telephone calls--- even though Blaine left friendly voice mails for him. Finally, Blaine emailed him --- and in his email he politely outlined his proposal to save the bird nest. And, finally, the landlord wrote him back and agreed to the plan.

Hallelujah!

However, after my voracious readings about the habits of white-winged doves, I have discovered that their nesting habits are delicate and fraught with hazards. Their nests are flimsy and can be blown out of the tree with a strong storm--- of which several are predicted for this area in the coming week. Also, their eggs are prime targets for "nest predators", like larger birds, neighborhood cats, and night owls --- all of which are present in this area of Overland Park. The research stated that, unfortunately, most baby doves do not live past their first year.

So I do what I call the "bird check" about every hour (or more). I am constantly peering out of our front window to check on the nest. And every time I check, I am reassured! Because one of the lovely things, either Mama or Papa, is always sitting on their nest, calm and purposeful.

(And sometimes I am treated to the interesting sight of the parent birdie "rolling"the eggs.)

Anyway, nest dangers aside--- I choose to be optimistic....because in my innermost heart, hope always springs eternal for life, love, and nature....

So let's all hope the beautiful dove family can raise their little brood without mishap!

*

5 comments:

Steph said...

Do you think Blaine needs a superhero cape knit for him? What a thoughtful plan he proposed for the birds and you. Steph

danielle said...

Tell Blaine he is everyone's hero! Not only for the sacrifice he made (his offer of his truck) but also his persistence. And even if the baby doesnt survive - at least you know you will have gone above and beyond in the attempt to save it!

Duckie23 said...

Yay! I agree with the knit cape too! And maybe some egg-warmers..hee hee

NurseJake said...

Just shot an email your way bo! ;)

Yeps, i second the motion. He needs a cape! lol

-Nurse Jake
Nursing Negligence and Malpractices Blog

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that the tree and nest was saved! Glad the dove is more peaceful than the mockingbird. No divebombing.