Thursday, April 23, 2009

Something Eggy This Way Comes... (I Hope)....

There I was, innocently minding my own business, knitting my stupid head off, trying to figure out which color to knit next--- when I noticed Leonard perk up his ears towards the window.

What did he hear?

At first I thought he might be nervous because a storm was brewing outside...

Because sure enough, it started to thunder and rain...

And then I saw it---

A pretty little dove bird flew into the tree flanking the front porch....

And the dove was carrying a twig in its beak.....

(You know... the stuff they makes nests with!!!) (Oh goody goody!!! Oh goody goody!!!)

So I ventured a peek....(I didn't want to alarm the birdies).... and I snapped a quick photo of the tree, there at the end of the porch, but I snapped it so fast that the pic is rather blurry---- but during my quick peek I saw what appeared to be some serious bird-business going on in there --- in an area at approximate eye-level, right there where the wooden beam stands...

And I felt a thrill! --- because I wondered... truly, could it be?... gulp.... could it happen for me again? Be there nest-building going on in there?

(Remember that time I discovered a nest of mockingbirds on my porch? There were two more nests with baby birds after that, but watching that first group of baby mockingbirds hatch and grow up was completely magical!)

Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!!

------*****------

UPDATE (later that day):

Unable to contain myself, I waited till I saw both birdies fly away (presumably to gather more twigs for their nest.)

And I quickly stuck my hand into the edge of tree and snapped these two quick pictures---AND YES....

THERE IS A NEST!

And then I scampered away, to leave things alone and let the birdies build their home.

Oh, I hope there'll be eggs, I hope ther
e'll be eggs, I hope there'll be eggs, I hope there'll be eggs....

1 comment:

Grandma Elsie said...

How sweet! Thank you for sharing . Making plans for a family on warm summer days ahead.
Hope you post more about the babies when they arrive.
Elsie <><