Sunday, April 26, 2009

Blaine To The Rescue....

*

It is Sunday.... and, so far, the tree remains standing--- and Mama Birdie is still there, sitting on the nest...

Yesterday was a bad day.

I had believed the landlord was going to cut down the tree with Mama Birdie in it--- because that is what he had told me on Friday. He told me that he wanted to cut the tree down this weekend because it was the only weekend that he had the use of his parents' pick-up truck---and that he had to return the truck to them, in Iowa, in a few days.

And since the idea of the tree (with birdie nest) coming down caused me to be beside myself with grief, Blaine took me out for the entire day so that I would not be at home when the tree came down.

We went to a car dealer so that Blaine could test-drive a vehicle he wants to purchase. We also went to "Whole Foods" and got some of their healthy foods like pecans, walnuts, wheat wildberry bars, Brazilian coffee, and fresh fruits.

I fretted for most of the day. I couldn't get excited about the possibility of a new car, or the shopping, or anything at all. And at the end of the day I didn't want to come home to a tree-less house....

I especially didn't want to come home to a birdie-less house.

I couldn't even enjoy the fact that the spectacularly beautiful redbuds are in bloom right now.

In the afternoon, Blaine took me to eat at The Bronx deli. But we couldn't put off the inevitable---- and so Blaine finally had to bring me home.

And lo and behold.....

The trees still stood.

What the deuce?

We did notice that the landlord had been busy. He had finished power-washing the back deck--- and he had replaced a loose board there. He had also piled some bags of cement in the front by the porch.

But I still couldn't understand what had happened about the trees. The landlord had definitely told me that he planned on cutting down the trees yesterday because of the limited time frame of which he would have possession of his parents' truck. And my mind raced with the possibilities...

Had he had a change of heart? Did he feel too guilty? Had he viewed the sweet Mama-Birdie and felt pity for her? Had his tree-cutting helpers canceled on him? Had he under-estimated just how large a job it would entail to cut down those trees and then haul them away? WHAT GIVES????

I wanted to know---and the suspense was killing me. (I was even getting a little angry.)

I peeked out the window all the rest of the afternoon and then the night, trying to decipher what the landlord was up to. I noticed that he and his roommate received guests in the early evening, and then they all went out--- not to return until the wee hours of the morning.

And then today he is not home.

So what the hell?? Because, according to him, he has to return that damn truck very soon.

Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer, and when Blaine returned from an errand, I asked him to call the landlord and find out what is going on. And then Blaine answered me in his usual calm, reassuring way..... and he said:

"Actually, I already called him while I was out at my brother's house this morning. He didn't answer but I left him a message asking him to call me. I'm going to tell him that if it's just a matter of the use of a pick-up truck for hauling the lumber, then I am willing to let him use my own truck--- on the condition that he waits until the birds' eggs hatch and the babies grow up."

WHAT??? HAD I HEARD CORRECTLY?

I had never even considered that solution --- because Blaine has never let anything or anybody TOUCH his precious truck. He has always liked to keep it pristine. I NEVER, in my wildest dreams, thought he'd even CONSIDER hauling heavy, dirty, truck-scratching trees in its bed.

So that's the plan. Blaine is waiting for the landlord to return his call--- and I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs... wondering and waiting....

.... and knitting....

And on this very windy day, in which the frequent gusts are causing both our window shades and the birdie's tree branches to wave back and forth --- lovely little Mama-Birdie continues to sit precariously on her little nest......incubating her eggies....

*

11 comments:

Cindy said...

Give that man a big old kiss on the mouth! And make him some chicken and dumplings. And...well, you get the idea.

Hooray for Blaine!

AzRN said...

whoo-who!

Duckie23 said...

That's just great Bo! Also.. I think that tree looks great by the house. Wouldn't it seem pretty bare with it gone??

Gramma Phyllis said...

Thank God for gentlemen like Blaine. Hopefully your landlord will take him up on the offer and then not get around to taking the tree down once the nestlings have flown. The tree actually looks like it adds shelter to your front porch and rather than cutting the tree down it could be judiciously pruned so as not to "overpower" the front look of the house. And what does she mean by landscaping anyway?

Linda in Alameda, CA said...

Obviously Blaine has a soft spot for the mama birdie, and for your feelings, too. What a guy! I look forward to more photos of the birdies.

danielle said...

I truly hope the landlord takes Blaine up on the offer - doves are such beautiful birds! And, if he uses Blaine's truck - he wont even have to pay for the gas!

Cat said...

YAAAAAAAAAY! Give Blane a pat on the tush!

Happy Bird watching!

Cat

Unknown said...

Good for Blaine! Excellent solution.

Macy from Buffalo, NY said...

YAY Blaine! Our hero!
You make yourself nuts over heels and he quietly offers a reasonable solution - isn't that just how it goes sometimes? But mama & papa birdies still have their tree and nest and eggies, and you still have a tiny smidgen of sanity left! YAY!

AlisonH said...

Wow. That Blaine is SUCH a keeper! Cool!

Beth in MN :-) said...

G-d bless Blaine, and I hope we all enjoy the baby birdies, too!